Friday, 24 January 2014

In the Shoes of A Single Mother


Name: Ms. Maya Lim
Age: 33
Jobs: Part-time cashier at a supermarket, Kopitiam & household cleaner
Working hours: 7 a.m - 10 p.m (Mon-Fri)
Working location: Jurong East
Live: Choa Chu Kang
Socio-economic status: Low income
Marriage status: Single mother
Children: Ben, 11 year old (primary 6)
                   Phoebe, 7 year old (primary 2)

22 January 2014
00.15 a.m

Dear Diary,
The kids are already fast asleep, finally I've got some time to myself. 
Work has always been tiring as always but I can't complain, I'm thankful enough to have quite a decent job to be able to feed my family.
It's sad though that I haven't got any presents for my kids, Chinese New Year is coming so soon.
I've been thinking about Ben's schoolbag lately. Poor kid, he has to carry so many books to school and he always hunches while carrying his bag. But seriously, I just looked at his bag that is only 4 months of being used, the stitches on the shoulder straps are already coming apart. It's quite bad.
I told him not to carry all of his books to school but he won't listen. He said that he wanted to read his books at school. But Ben is so careless, I am afraid too that he will forget one of his books again and lost it like last time, books are so expensive these days, especially text books, can't afford to buy extras if he ever lost one.

Bugis Market
Soon I have to buy  him a new bag. Again. I don't know why bags just don't last long like it used to during my school time. Yes they are more fashionable now but they get damaged too easily. Can it be because of the books?
Anyway, Ms. Tham told me I didn't have to go clean her house this afternoon so I went looking for Ben's bag. I have to look around to find a really good quality bag but of course, low price. I went to Bugis market. Found a bag suitable for Ben, big, easily-cleaned material, quite trendy but it's $56. Pass.


The black bag I like
















 
Adidas light weight bag

Then I want to see how good are the branded bags. So I went to Adidas, Converse and Kappa shops. They really have nice materials bag. One I found was very light but big in size but the price again stops me from buying it. I really was curious about all the bags there so I kept asking about the features of a bag and compared with others. The shop assistant was a bit annoyed with me and went away but yea, those nice bags are out of my budget. They cost around $60 and above.
Quality does come with a high price. Well I guess I have to try my luck at second hand shop. Sometimes they have good bags there. 
Ben just have to be thankful enough that he still can go to school with our tight budget. He needs to work hard and be not fussy about his needs too much. If his bag is too heavy, he can just leave books at home. I really can't afford to buy new bags for so often. Won't spoil him too much, besides, his sister just started primary school meaning I have to be really careful with any extra spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment